I feel like I have to preface this- I am not and will not be pregnant anytime soon. Phew. Now that that’s over with on to the good stuff.
I am coming to that age where everyone around me is starting to have kids. My siblings and various relatives have kiddos galore as do some of my friends and acquaintances. The best part about this is that I LOVE kids but do not have to have a kid of my own to peruse cool kid stuff at buy-buy-baby. In fact, I get to do that thing where I’m all like “No, no…not for me” and go have a bourbon afterwards. Kids are such a gift though! – and I will get there but just not yet :]
So for those of you wondering what to get an expecting family or looking for great registry selections for yourself, here are some suggestions I have for tried and true gifts/items that will actually get use.
- Bottle drying rack
Y’all. This is one of my go-to gifts. I love the feel of this faux-grass drying rack for bottles and other bottle bits. It’s so fun and happy. Who thought of this!??!?!? I must meet them.
2. Bottle Drying Rack Accessories
I just..oh man. These are too good. These pieces are designed to fit in the grass mat for accessories. How cool are those flowers and twigs. Again. This design team is a genius.
I have actually seen many people use the grass and accessory bits and they like them a lot. Personally, I want one to dry my highball glasses. Your welcome.
3. Skip*Hop Diaper Bag
Granted, there are a lot of great diaper bags out there, but this one has the added benefit of looking more like a tote than a diaper carrier. Its sleek, it’s not overly bulky, and it’s wipeable. The new moms that have it love it.
4. All the soft bibs
Soft bibs are great for kids. I like to sew bibs for people with “minky” material on the back and a fun print on the front. If you need one contact me or I have a sweet family member who also makes bibs on etsy..she is stellar too so contact for details.
5. All the wipeable bibs
I personally like soft bibs, but there’s something to be said for wipeable bibs-especially when kids get to the yogurt eating phase.
6. A cozy and feeding friendly cardigan for the mom to be
Momma’s to-be need love too!!! Think about it. You love the kid you have but are exhausted and just want to be cozy put somehow kempt- so I’ve heard. A draped cardigan is the way to go! Here are some of my favorite picks.
7. Plain white onesies in lots of sizes
You cannot go wrong with a pack of white onesies. They go with everything and are classic baby.
Check with the parent first. Some may opt for cloth diapers and that is a-ok. If the parent is going the disposable route, I highly recommend buying various sizes of diapers. It’s something that will definitely get use.
9. Savings Bonds
Because who doesn’t like money for their kid down the road. You are looking toward the future- you bright star you.
I have got to plug literacy as a go-to thing that you want to start in on early with your child. Reading, writing, critical thinking skills, and creativity are all so important.
Books are also great gifts!! You can pick a story that you like or that may carry a special message for the kiddo.
When picking books here is what you should know:
- Infants see black, white, and red colors most clearly. Books in these schemes are common for young babies and toddlers for that reason.
- Board books- meaning those heavy cardboard like books- are great because they are more durable. Also from a parent or nanny perspective there are typically less words which is wonderful…this after I just plugged literacy.
- Don’t be afraid to pick slightly older 3-6 year old books. This is like a new gift for kids when they get to that age. Parents can read these books allowed when younger too!
- Finally!!! You need to know about Indestructibles. These books are the bees knees. They are specially designed so kids can not break, rip, tear, etc. the book.
There you have it. My top ten baby shower gift picks. Any other suggestions?